Re: Enterprise readiness - mirroring / incremental backup

From: "Charles H(dot) Woloszynski" <chw(at)clearmetrix(dot)com>
To: Kieran <kieran(at)dunelm(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enterprise readiness - mirroring / incremental backup
Date: 2002-11-20 01:22:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Kieran:

I am also looking for incremental backups for postgreSQL. We have been
looking at ERSERVER as a replication engine to address failover. Looks
like the replication can be done with ERSERVER (or if you only need a
small replica, I think rserv might be sufficient) and linux-HA to
support the failover. We are looking at the scripts to support the
failover converting the slave into the master (and vice-versa).
Incremental backup/restore is still something we have our list to
research but have not yet had time to tackle.

If you start down using PostgreSQL, please let me know. Perhaps our
teams can work together.

Charlie

Kieran wrote:

> I'm currently starting to evaluate Open Source RDBMSs for use in a
> high-volume, high-availability environment.
>
> My main requirements are:
>
> 1. Ability to store approx 200Gb of data, with about 5Gb of data
> changing per day.
>
> 2. Support for high number of concurrent short transactions under
> REPEATABLE READ transaction isolation with row-level locking (or
> equivalent optimistic concurrency control).
>
> 3. Fast (i.e. < 5 mins) failover time to a constantly mirrored
> secondary database server.
>
> 4. Ability to perform continous network backups such that in the event
> of both the primary database server and mirrored database server
> suffering total failure, no more than 1 hour of data is lost.
>
> First impressions are that PostgreSQL (and SAP DB, but definitely not
> MySQL) appears to meet requirements 1 & 2, but I'm not sure whether it
> (or any Open Source db) can currently meet requirements 3 & 4.
>
> My understanding is that while PostgreSQL offers hot backups "out of
> the box", it only offers full backups and does not have built in
> support for mirroring. Clearly, backing up 200Gb of data hourly is not
> feasible.
>
> Are there any third part solutions capable of making PostgreSQL meet
> requirements 3 & 4?
>
> I'd imagine it may be possible to satisfy 3. using file system level
> mirroring, but I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm this.
>
> My last question is somewhat pie-in-the sky, but assuming that
> PostgreSQL cannot currently meet requirements 3 & 4 even with 3rd
> party solutions, what are people's gut reactions to whether a small
> team (e.g. 5-6) of experienced, full-time paid developers could add
> mirroring and incremental backup support to PostgreSQL within 18 months?
>
> Cheers,
> Kieran Elby

Charles H. Woloszynski

ClearMetrix, Inc.