Re: RI_FKey_check: foreign key constraint blocks

From: Peter Schindler <pschindler(at)synchronicity(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pg-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RI_FKey_check: foreign key constraint blocks
Date: 2002-11-14 07:46:36
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Stephan Szabo wrote:
> I've been working on something of the sort. I've got a test patch
> (against about 7.3b2) that I'm trying to validate which cases it does and
> does not work for. I'm still looking for more volunteers if you've got a
> dev system you're willing to use. :)
I'd willing to do some testing. Though, I can't promise too much time as we are
just in the middle of final. qualification for our release. Also we are still
using 7.2.1 and didn't port to 7.3 yet. But, I could do some systematic manual
testing with psql if you want. Could you sent me the patch please.

BTW, I forgot to mention this in my orig. mail, even it probably obvious to you,
this behavior is there for several (if not all) pg releases. I've tested it with
7.2.1, 7.3b2 and 7.3b5.

> Right now, I know that it has a hole that lets through invalid data in one
> case that it got while trying to fix a deadlock case. Hopefully in the
> next week or so I'll have figured out a way around it.
After our and the pg7.3 release is out we'll port there and I really would like
to get rid of this restriction with that release than. So it would be wonderful
if that still goes into the final of 7.3.

Rgs,
Peter