Re: ONE MORE PERFORMANCE ISSUE WITH POSTGRES

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ONE MORE PERFORMANCE ISSUE WITH POSTGRES
Date: 2002-10-29 14:03:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On 29 Oct 2002 at 16:42, Savita wrote:
> I just wanted to know is it possible to improve the performance of a query if
> the query is calling any stored procedure in it.

Generally if you are making 3-4 calls for select/update/insert, a stored
procedure works much better compared to separate calls to database because
communication overhead is only once and database probably pre-parse-pre-plan
the queries in it. So yes, it does improve performance..

> Because when I run this query it takes 100% CPU usage and other applications are
> hanging.

What's the query? Could you elaborate more on that?

And other applications are hanging is rediculous behaviour unless it's windows.
On linux, any 100% CPU chewing task should not block any other task. At least
2.4.19 onwards, same goes for other unices.. Windows is a different story.(My
mail client, pegasus maxes out CPU, if it can not reach SMTP host for some
reason. This is XP/SP1.. Go figure)

Bye
Shridhar

--
Dijkstra probably hates me(Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)