Upper / lower cases on table and column names

From: Reiner Dassing <dassing(at)wettzell(dot)ifag(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upper / lower cases on table and column names
Date: 2002-10-25 12:16:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

(PostgreSQL) 7.1.1:

Hello all!

I was trying to adopt a database application to PostgreSQL.
(It is written for MySQL and Oracle using perl)

During this process I recognized the phenomena that upper case letters
of table names and column names are not preserved
in PostgreSQL.
Is this a "featue" of PostgreSQL or do I miss something?

Example:
Id and textId as a column name should conserve upper case letters 'I'
but \d data converts it to lower case words:

psql ...
create table data ( Id int not null, textId int not null);

\d data
Table "data"
Attribute | Type | Modifier
-----------+---------+----------
id | integer | not null
textid | integer | not null

and
create table Data ( Id int not null, textId int not null);

results in:
ERROR: Relation 'data' already exists

In the interpretation of my application table 'data' and 'Data' is something
different.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With best regards
Reiner Dassing