Re: Changing Column Order (Was Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.)

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing Column Order (Was Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.)
Date: 2002-10-12 10:50:03
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On 12 Oct 2002 at 2:54, Jeff Davis wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the order the attributes are returned makes no
> difference in a client application, unless you're referencing attributes by
> number. All applications that I've made or seen all use the name instead, and
> I've never heard otherwise, or heard any advantage to using numbers to
> reference columns.

Even in that case you can obtain field number for a given name and vise versa..

> When someone asks, ask them "why?". I'd be interested to know if they have
> some other reason. I would think that if they absolutely wanted to fine-tune
> the order of columns they'd use a view (seems a little easier than
> continually changing order around by individual SQL statements).

Sounds fine but what is about that "continually changing"? A view needs a
change only if it alters fields selected/tables to select from/selection
criteria. Field order does not figure in there..

Bye
Shridhar

--
QOTD: "A child of 5 could understand this! Fetch me a child of 5."