Error with sequences, "sequence was re-created"

From: "Charles H(dot) Woloszynski" <chw(at)clearmetrix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error with sequences, "sequence was re-created"
Date: 2002-10-02 18:01:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I am porting an existing database to PostgreSQL and have encountered a
strange error.

When I am in psql and use \i to read the SQL script, I get messages
about various sequences being re-created. After the re-creation of
the sequence, I am getting errors about currval() not being valid. I've
included a snippet of the output below. [There were a series of ERROR
messages that the script causes when it tries to drop tables that don't
exist ... I've ignored those... perhaps to my detriment].

INSERT 40369 1
INSERT 40370 1
INSERT 40371 1
INSERT 40372 1
INSERT 40373 1
INSERT 40374 1
psql:reduced.sql:1297: NOTICE: seq_service.currval: sequence was re-created
psql:reduced.sql:1297: ERROR: seq_service.currval is not yet defined in
this session
psql:reduced.sql:1299: ERROR: seq_service.currval is not yet defined in
this session
psql:reduced.sql:1301: ERROR: seq_service.currval is not yet defined in
this session
psql:reduced.sql:1303: ERROR: seq_service.currval is not yet defined in
this session
psql:reduced.sql:1305: ERROR: seq_service.currval is not yet defined in
this session
psql:

What is causing the sequences to be re-created? Is this a known issue?
I have searched the archives but was unable to find more than a single
message about this (and it did not discuss a resolution).

I am using RH 7.2 and PostgreSQL 7.2.2.

Charlie

--

Charles H. Woloszynski