Re: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Subject: Re: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?
Date: 2002-09-29 07:46:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29 Sep 2002 at 0:43, Justin Clift wrote:

> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> The reason that I was thinking of having a different path per index
> would be for high volume situations like this:
>
> /dev/dsk1 : /pgdata <- data here
> /dev/dsk2 : /pgindexes1 <- some indexes here
> /dev/dsk3 : /pgindexes2 <- some ultra-high volume activity here

I would say this would look better..

/pgdata
--index1
---indexfiles
--index2
---indexfiles

Where index1 and index2 are two different indexes. Just like each table gets
it's own directory, each index gets it's own directory as well.

So the admin would/can tune on per object basis rather than worrying about
creating right group of objects and then tuning about that group.

If required throwing per database transaction log there as well might prove a
good idea. It would insulate one db from load of other, as far as I/O is
concerned..

This possiblity is not lost with this scheme but it just gets something simpler
IMO..

Just illustration of my another post on hackers on this topic..

Bye
Shridhar

--
You're too beautiful to ignore. Too much woman. -- Kirk to Yeoman Rand, "The
Enemy Within", stardate unknown