Re: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in
Subject: Re: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?
Date: 2002-09-28 07:51:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
<snip>
> Looks like we should have a subdirectory in database directory which stores

That was my first thought also, but an alternative/additional approach
would be this (not sure if it's workable):

- As each index already has a bunch of information stored stored for
it, would it be possible to have an additional column added called
'idxpath' or something?

- This would mean that the index location would be stable per index,
and would allow for *really* high volume environments to keep different
indexes on different drives.

Not sure what the default value would be, maybe the PGDATA directory,
maybe something as a GUC variable, etc, but that's the concept.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> May be transaction logs, indexes goes in separte directory which can be
> symlinked. Linking a directory is much simpler solution than linking a file.
>
> I suggest we have per database transaction log and indexes created in separate
> subdirectories for each database. Furhter given that large tables are segmented
> after one GB size, a table should have it's own subdirectory optionally..
>
> At the cost of few inodes, postgresql would gain much more flexibility and
> hence tunability..
>
> May be TODO for 7.4? Anyone?
>
> Bye
> Shridhar
>
> --
> Software, n.: Formal evening attire for female computer analysts.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

- Indira Gandhi