How to REINDEX in high volume environments?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to REINDEX in high volume environments?
Date: 2002-09-28 07:08:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Am experimenting to find out what kind of performance gain are achieved
from moving indexes to a different scsi drives than the WAL files, than
the data itself, etc.

Have come across an interesting problem.

Have moved the indexes to another drive, then created symlinks to them.

Ran a benchmark against the database, REINDEX'd the tables, VACUUM FULL
ANALYZE'd, prepared to re-run the benchmark again and guess what?

The indexes were back on the original drive.

The process of REINDEX-ing obviously creates another file then drops the
original.

Is there a way to allow REINDEX to work without having this side affect?

Pre-creating a bunch of dangling symlinks doesn't work (tried that, it
gives a "ERROR: cannot create accounts_pkey: File exists" on FreeBSD
4.6.2 when using the REINDEX).

Any suggestions?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,