Re: [JDBC] Prepared statement performance...

From: Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Prepared statement performance...
Date: 2002-09-27 11:50:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

Barry Lind wrote:

> Your first option is what has been implemented. In 7.3 the server now
> for passing bind variables). The jdbc driver also now has a method on
> org.postgresql.PGStatement.setUseServerPrepare(true) to enable the the
> use of server side prepared statements (so you can cast your Statement
> object to an org.postgresql.PGStatement object and enable the
> functionality for a specific statement).
[..]
> It is for the reasons above that the developer needs to explicitly turn
> on the use of server side prepared statements when it makes sense to do so.

How would the developer do that? With the front-end I am working with
(ColdFusion MX) I have very little control over the actual calls to the
driver. I can make CF MX use createStatement() or prepareStatement() but
that is all the control I have. And the only way to send parameters to
the driver would be through a JDBC URL.
Would that enable me to use prepared statements for real or not?

Jochem