Re: [GENERAL] Performance while loading data and indexing

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Performance while loading data and indexing
Date: 2002-09-26 20:55:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

I have seen various benchmarks where XFS seems to perform best when it
comes to huge amounts of data and many files (due to balanced internal
b+ trees).
also, XFS seems to be VERY mature and very stable.
ext2/3 don't seem to be that fast in most of the benchmarks.

i did some testing with reiser some time ago. the problem is that it
seems to restore a very historic consistent snapshot of the data. XFS
seems to be much better in this respect.

i have not tested JFS yet (but on this damn AIX beside me)
from my point of view i strongly recommend XFS (maybe somebody from
RedHat should think about it).

Hans

--
*Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig*
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria