Re: some other backend died abnormally

From: fredrik chabot <fredrik(at)f6(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: some other backend died abnormally
Date: 2002-09-24 19:38:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:

>fredrik chabot <fredrik(at)f6(dot)nl> writes:
>
>>so I migrated the database to a non-smp machine running RH 7.2 and the postgres
>>7.2.1-5 rpm's
>>
>>Kernel 2.4.7-10
>>
>>and I still get
>>
>>FATAL 1: LWLockAcquire: can't wait without a PROC structure
>>
>>The code tells me this should never heppen :->
>>
>I don't think it should happen either ;-) When do you see it exactly
>--- is it during startup of a fresh connection, or while executing
>queries in an existing backend, or ...?

Ok, short answer I don't know; long answer:

Most connections are "long-lived" connections staying up for hours on
end. There are somewhere form 6 upto ~75 connections open at a time
about 6 at night > 50 during "office hours". Both failures today where
in office hours and It happend about every hour in office hours on the
smp system and only once in the off hours.

I got it BTW twice while loading the data in the database. Simple stuff
begin; -thousands of inserts; commit; and then the next table.
I did not once fail during the test fase of the system. (one or two
users at a time)

So my hunch is that it happens when there has been a lot of operations
in one connection and a lot of other connections at the same time.