Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers Mailing List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date: 2002-09-24 18:49:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> > You don't :vote: on stuff like this ...
>
> Why not, exactly?
>
> I wasn't aware that any of core had a non-vetoable right to apply
> any patch we liked regardless of the number and strength of the
> objections. AFAIK, we resolve differences of opinion by discussion,
> followed by a vote if the discussion doesn't produce a consensus.
>
> It was pretty clear that Thomas' original patch lost the vote, or
> would have lost if we'd bothered to hold a formal vote. I don't
> see anyone arguing against the notion of making XLOG location more
> easily configurable --- it was just the notion of making it depend
> on environment variables that scared people.

And AFAICS it is scary only because screwing that up will simply corrupt
your database. Thus, a simple random number (okay, and a timestamp of
initdb) in two files, one in $PGDATA and one in $PGXLOG would be a
totally sufficient safety mechanism to prevent starting with the wrong
XLOG directory.

Can we get that instead of ripping out anything?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #