Re: Implementation of LIMIT on DELETE and UPDATE statements

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>, "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implementation of LIMIT on DELETE and UPDATE statements
Date: 2002-09-24 18:29:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

> > srb(at)cuci(dot)nl (Stephen R. van den Berg) escribió:
> >> Incidentally, using a SELECT without an ORDER BY but with a LIMIT is
> >> documented to give unpredictable results, yet users are expected cope with
> >> this fact, but are expected to have problems with a similar fact in
> >> an UPDATE or DELETE statement?
>
> Well, IMHO there's a big difference in documented unpredictable output
> from a documented-unpredictable query, as opposed to
> documented-unpredictable changes in the database state. There is not
> a lot of use for the latter AFAICS.

The next thing we could implement is

DELETE SOMETHING FROM SOME TABLE [OR NOT];

Very usefull for the type of programmer that needs the proposed LIMIT
patch. It's the only way, those pelletheads can for sure blame the error
on PostgreSQL.

Sarcasm aside, folks, I am 100% with Tom here. No LIMIT on UPDATE or
DELETE.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #