Re: Win32 rename()/unlink() questions

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 rename()/unlink() questions
Date: 2002-09-20 04:31:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Mike Mascari wrote:
>
>>I will do some testing with concurrency and let you know. But
>>don't get your hopes up. This is one of the many advantages that
>>TABLESPACEs have when more than one relation is stored in a
>>single DATAFILE. There was Oracle for MS-DOS, after all..
>

> I was focusing on handling of pg_pwd and other config file that are
> written by various backend while other backends are reading them. The
> actual data files should be OK because we have an exclusive lock when we
> are adding/removing them.

OK. So you want to test:

1. Process 1 opens "foo"
2. Process 2 opens "foo"
3. Process 1 renames "foo" to "bar"
4. Process 2 can safely read from its open file handle

Is that what you want tested? I have a small Win32 app ready to
test. Just let me know the scenarios...

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com