Re: keeping a log / debug info

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: keeping a log / debug info
Date: 2002-09-19 16:13:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On 19 Sep 2002 at 11:53, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:

> Howdy:
> Running PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on RedHat Linux 7.2 kernel 2.4.7.
> I am running postgres with a '-d' option (debug)
> and storing that info in a log file. This morning
> I moved the log file (trying to gzip it) and touched
> a new version of that file ... (didn't mean to do that).
> Now no data is being recorded ...
> Can I restart the database without losing backends
> that currently exist? Sort of a -HUP postmaster<pid>?
> Is there a way to record this info via /etc/syslog.conf
> and have the system do it? (for instance, the message file ...
> when it gets so large, it is moved to message.0
> and you see a *new* message file).

I can think of way to do this. Taken from apache. It can pipe the logs to
another process and compress compress it etc...

Check apache/logs.html#rotation in apache documentation.. May be you can pipe
the logs to your own program which roatates the log or may be logrotate
itself..

HTH..

Bye
Shridhar

--
weapon, n.: An index of the lack of development of a culture.