Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date: 2002-09-16 15:25:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:
<snip>

> I just don't see why that all could become an issue. Someone
> running big stuff on NT4 today is not running a native PostgreSQL
> port on it. Why would someone want to do a new, big, PG
> installation on an old, unsupported NT4 server today?

Corporate Standards. Even if everyone *knows* that NT4 isn't the latest
and greatest, many large companies still use NT4. Purely because so
much stuff they use works with it that they haven't been able to
generate sufficient business cases to migrate their base server OS to
Win2K (or XP).

If this would be a really huge and drastic modification then sure it's
not necessarily an easy thing to decide. But the first thing to
consider is "how much effort would be required?".

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Jan
>
> --
> # It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being
> right. #
> # Let's break this rule - forgive
> me. #
> JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com #