Re: [JDBC] problem with new autocommit config parameter

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] problem with new autocommit config parameter
Date: 2002-09-11 02:48:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Curt,

Yes I can check the server version on connect. In fact that is what the
driver already does. However I can't check the version and then based
on the version call set autocommit true in one round trip to the server.
Since many people don't use connection pools, I am reluctant to add
the overhead of an extra roundtrip to the database to set a variable
that for most people will already be set to true. It would be ideal if
I could in one hit to the database determine the server version and
conditionally call set autocommit based on the version at the same time.

thanks,
--Barry