Re: Accessing original TupleDesc from SRF

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: John Gray <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Accessing original TupleDesc from SRF
Date: 2002-08-30 15:45:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> writes:
>>Actually, I left off trying to figure out how to pass the columndef to
>>ExecMakeFunctionResult in the first place.
>
> That was hard yesterday, but it's easy today because nodeFunctionscan
> isn't using ExecEvalExpr anymore --- we'd only have to add one more
> parameter to ExecMakeTableFunctionResult and we're there.

I didn't even realize you had changed that! Things move quickly around
here ;-). I'll take a look this morning.

>>Preference of extending FunctionCallInfoData or ReturnSetInfo?
>
> Definitely ReturnSetInfo. If we put it in FunctionCallInfoData then
> that's an extra word to zero for *every* fmgr function call, not only
> table functions.

OK.

> One thing to notice is that a table function that's depending on this
> info being available will have to punt if it's invoked via
> ExecMakeFunctionResult (ie, it's being called in a SELECT targetlist).
> That doesn't bother me too much, but maybe others will see it
> differently.

It's an important safety tip, but it doesn't bother me either. I think
you have suggested before that SRFs in SELECT targetlists should be
deprecated/removed. I'd take that one step further and say that SELECT
targetlists should only allow a scalar result, but obviously there are
some backwards compatibility issues there.

Joe