delete with referential integrity

From: Michael Zouroudis <mzouroudis(at)idealcorp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: delete with referential integrity
Date: 2002-08-29 16:54:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

i promise this will be my last post for a long time. my last problem on
my db is caused by a trigger. i have three tables involved; assets,
book_asset, and book. because of integrity constraints, i have to
delete the record from book_asset, then book, and finally assets. all
inserts, updates, and deletes are done through the assets table, and i
have a trigger on assets that first deletes book_asset, then books, and
finally assets. the problem is when it deletes assets on that third
delete, it sends the db into a recursive loop(the delete on assets
starts the trigger again). i am searching for an answer, but have not
found one in the last hour and a half. if someone has encounted this
problem before and knows a solution, i would be very grateful. the only
thing i have found is a function called _funny_dup17()_, but this seems
to be only for regression tests. besides from that, i am out of ideas.

thanks,

Mike Zouroudis
Intern
I.D.E.A.L. Technology Corporation - Orlando Office
http://www.idealcorp.com - 407.999.9870 x14