Re: bytea operator bugs (was Re: [GENERAL] BYTEA, indexes

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvar Freude <alvar(at)a-blast(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bytea operator bugs (was Re: [GENERAL] BYTEA, indexes
Date: 2002-08-19 01:53:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> This is not gonna fly: the reason why that Assert is there is that
> the rest of the pattern-analysis code assumes it can work with
> null-terminated strings. If you want a one-line patch then the patch
> is to change the right-hand argument of bytealike to TEXT. A "real"
> patch would probably require changing all the patternsel routines to
> use counted strings, which seems like it will add major uglification.

OK. I'll look at both options and make another diff -c proposal ;-) Once
that's resolved I'll go back to original issue Alvar raised.

BTW, you were right-on on the other issue. I started with a fresh sync
up from cvs, then configure, make all, make install, initdb. Now the
problem is gone.

As always, thanks for your help and guidance.

Joe