Re: Coding help

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: matthew(at)zeut(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Coding help
Date: 2002-08-16 14:10:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Matthew T. O'Connor" wrote:

> Hello, I'm playing with creating an auto vacuum daemon, but it is my first
> time inside the pg source code and I'm a bit lost.
>
> I have gotten as far as having a vacuum daemon created on postmaster startup.
> It's just a fork from the postmaster, cribbed mostly from the stat collector
> code.

I recall that there has been discussion and so far the conclusion that
an automatic vacuum daemon is not the solution everyone needs. If you
really want to spend the effort on doing this, can we please see some
proposal about possible configuration options, how the daemon decides
what to vacuum when and the like?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #