Need some help in psql Configuration

From: "Suresh Gupta VG" <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
To: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Need some help in psql Configuration
Date: 2007-12-31 06:21:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Team,

I am using Postgresql 7.4 version. We are willing to update the version
to the latest. Can you pls give some guidelines and provide the link to
the software to download. Is it free downloadable or commercial, pls
advice us.

Secondly, we found there is very less performance with the current
version. So, we started to do "VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE" daily with the
help of Cron jobs scheduler. We don't find any effective performance
increase in the Database. So, we concentrated on configuration file. In
our configuration file "postgresql.conf" where found the following
entries commented. And "max_connections = 100", we found that at one
particular peak period/timings of the day, the transactions are failing
due to database updation. Can you pls suggest us to get rid of this
problem.

Our ideas on this :-

1) Upgrade to latest version 8.0

2) Increase the "Max_connections" value to 200.

3) Change the configuration file by un-commenting the following
parameters.

Please advice on this and correct me if I am wrong in the above
approach.

# QUERY TUNING
----

# - Planner Method Enabling -
#enable_hashagg = true
#enable_hashjoin = true
#enable_indexscan = true
#enable_mergejoin = true
#enable_nestloop = true
#enable_seqscan = true
#enable_sort = true
#enable_tidscan = true

# - Planner Cost Constants -
#effective_cache_size = 1000 # typically 8KB each
#random_page_cost = 4 # units are one sequential page fetch
cost
#cpu_tuple_cost = 0.01 # (same)
#cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.001 # (same)
#cpu_operator_cost = 0.0025 # (same)

# - Genetic Query Optimizer -
#geqo = true
#geqo_threshold = 11
#geqo_effort = 1
#geqo_generations = 0
#geqo_pool_size = 0 # default based on tables in statement,
# range 128-1024
#geqo_selection_bias = 2.0 # range 1.5-2.0

# - Other Planner Options -
#default_statistics_target = 10 # range 1-1000
#from_collapse_limit = 8
#join_collapse_limit = 8 # 1 disables collapsing of explicit
JOINs

Regards,

G. V. Suresh Gupta

Innovative Technology Solutions(ITS), Zensar Technologies

Zensar Knowledge Park, Plot#5, MIDC IT Tower,

Kharadi, Off Nagar Road, Pune - 411014

Landline : +91-20-66453471 | +91-9890898688

Email : suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com | website: www.zensar.com
<http://www.zensar.com/>

DISCLAIMER:
This email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient(s) and the views expressed in the same are not necessarily the views of Zensar Technologies Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail by error, its use is strictly prohibited, please delete the e-mail and notify the sender. Zensar Technologies Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.