Re: Password sub-process ...

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Password sub-process ...
Date: 2002-07-26 14:02:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:

> Something to maybe add to the TODO list, if someone has the
> time/inclination to work on it ...
>
> The problem with the current auth system, as I see it, is that you can't
> easily have seperate user lists and passwords per database ... its shared
> across the system ...

I don't see a problem with that in general. Other databases (like
Informix) do it even worse and you need a UNIX or NIS account where the
password is held!

What would be good is IMHO to have GRANT|REVOKE CONNECT which defaults
to REVOKE, so only superusers and the DB owner can connect, but that the
owner later can change it without the need to edit hba.conf.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #