Memory usage question

From: Alessandro Baretta <alex(at)baretta(dot)com>
Subject: Memory usage question
Date: 2002-07-21 23:48:45
Lists: pgsql-general

I have just run a seqscan query on a fairly large table
(1.8Mrows, ca 40MB). I have a 256MB machine, so I expected
the postgres process to take up approximately that amount of
memory. On the other hand, observing top, I noticed postgres
was consistently below 4000KB. What does that mean? Isn't
postgres supposed to cache most of the database in memory,
so as to limit disk access?

Alex