Where are security permissions stored ?

From: "Thorne, Francis" <ft55(at)leicester(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Where are security permissions stored ?
Date: 2011-06-08 10:36:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

In postgres 8.3.6 could you please tell me where the security permission details for users are stored (i.e. who has select on a particular table), for example in the master database in M-SQL, am I right in thinking these details are stored in pg_catalog and if so I'm guessing this should be backed up

Thanks
FT