Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

From: Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Date: 2002-07-06 16:15:39
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>>The idea of calling it "Postgres SQL Server" has merit because it is so
>>close to what we already have, just an added 's' and a space.
>

> ... and a M$ trademark violation suit, just waiting to happen whenever
> M$ decides we are big enough to be a threat.
>
> Stay far far away from any name including "SQL Server".

IIRC SQL Server (or "SQL-server" to be exact) is just a definition from
the SQL standard. I doubt whether Microsoft can monopolize something
like that (the SQL standard was there first right?). Of course I am
making a pretty big assumption about the sanity of the actual law :)

Whether it is really worthwhile to invest resources into that is an
entirely different matter. Personally, I am happy with PostgreSQL.

Jochem