Re: The future of pgAdminII .....

From: John McCawley <jmccawley(at)worleyco(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The future of pgAdminII .....
Date: 2002-06-28 19:13:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

>Have you considered Fox: http://www.fox-toolkit.org
>I know you said you have not gotten you head around C++
>but there is a binding to ruby http://fxruby.sf.net

Well, my .02 is this...

It would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to implement the
Access migration functionality of PGAdminII off of the Windows platform.
I am not too well versed in other areas of the tool, but I would
venture a guess that a lot of the functionality is highly tied to ADO
and other interfaces that don't necessarily have a competitive workalike
outside of the ADO/Jet/VB/etc world.

Secondly, and it pains me to say this, I am completely disgusted with
the state of C/C++ development on Unix. I've been writing in C for over
seven years, and have ported two large C++ applications from Windows to
Linux. In all of this time I have never even remotely warmed up to GNU
make, autotools etc., nor any of the toolkits such as GTK and the like.
It's not that GTK is a bad API, it is certainly better than Win32, but
the myriad Linux systems just makes development a mess. The 1998
Windows binaries of my 3D engine still run on Win95, 98, and 2000. I
can't even get the source to compile under Linux any more. (Let alone
run the binaries) The source hasn't changed, but the system has.

When I first used PGAdminII I was disappointed that it was using a
non-free development environment. But after some thinking, I honestly
can't think of anything worth porting it to. It isn't just a question
of learning C++. It's simply that the current state of cross platform
C++ toolkits is miserable. I've honestly never heard of Fox, so I can't
judge it, but my experiences with GTK, QT, WxWindows, et. al. have
taught me that they are rarely the panacea they claim to be. If a
person is having trouble with C++ in the first place, the world of cross
platform C++ toolkits is a tough thing indeed.