Re: Shared Memory Sizing

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com>, "Peter A(dot) Daly" <petedaly(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared Memory Sizing
Date: 2002-06-27 13:50:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I advise in my hardware tuning guide that it be increased until paging
> > starts, then reduce it, and start around 25%. Is that OK?
>
> I don't think that's optimal. The general gist is that if the OS
> has as much [...]

All right all right. So far we've seen a couple of responses from you,
all rejecting someone elses advice because of not beeing optimal or even
beeing worse.

Can you please enlighten us what the optimum is? And please don't escape
into the mmap solution if you cannot give that answer in diff format.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #