Re: Marketing PostgreSQL

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Marketing PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-06-26 15:23:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I guess the website is really good. The only thing I'd do is to add a
section listing the core features of PostgreSQL - I think this could be
an important point.

In my opinion MySQL is not a competitor and we should not benchmark
PostgreSQL and compare it with MySQL. Those features which are really
important are not supported and so it is just not possible to make a
serious comparison unless you want to benchmark databases containing 300
records or so ...
Speed is not the only thing and it can lead to false results. Let's
thinks of an example:
Let think of a table containing 300 records and you want to :

SELECT cosh(x) FROM y HAVING cosh(x) > z;

How can anybody implement cosh for MySQL??? In this case the benchmark
cannot be done - in the case of MySQL the problem has to be solved on an
application level. These are the REAL ADVANTAGES of PostgreSQL and this
the reason why people are using it. I think it is not work talking about
small databases and simple queries. We should focus on stability and
extensibility and not on "SELECT 'micky mouse' FROM smalltable".

PostgreSQL is the most advanced database on earth and that counts.
These days we are negotiating with a potential customer who wants to
substitute Oracle on AIX for PostgreSQL on AIX because of costs and
extensibility. We did NOT choose MySQL because he has the impression
that MySQL people focus on speed rather than on reliability and
extensibility. I think that shows what things are all about.

I am not happy about the Windows port - maybe it will cause a lot of
troubles in real applications due to problems related to Windows.

Let's do enterprise computing and don't let us build a database for
minor Web databases.

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde &. Schoenig