(A) native Windows port

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: (A) native Windows port
Date: 2002-06-26 14:44:57
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

as some of you figured already, Katie Ward and I are working fulltime on
PostgreSQL and are actually doing a native Win32 port. This port is not
based on CygWIN, Apache or any other compatibility library but uses 100%
native Windows functionality only.

We already have it far enough to create and drop databases, tables and
of course do the usual stuff (like INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE and SELECT).
But there is still plenty of work, so don't worry, all of you will have
a chance to leave their finger- and/or footprints.

What I want to start today is discussion about project coordination and
code management. Our proposal is to provide a diff first. I have no clue
when exactly this will happen, but assuming the usual PostgreSQL
schedule behaviour I would say it's measured in weeks :-). A given is
that we will contribute this work under the BSD license.

We will upload the diff to developer.postgresql.org and post a link
together with build instructions to hackers. After some discussion we
can create a CVS branch and apply that patch to there. Everyone who
wants to contribute to the Win32 port can then work in that branch.
Katie and I will take care that changes in trunk will periodically get
merged into the Win32 branch.

This model guarantees that we don't change the mainstream PostgreSQL
until the developers community decides to follow this road and choose
this implementation as the PostgreSQL Win32 port. At that point we can
merge the Win32 port into the trunk and ship it with the next release.

As for project coordination, I am willing to setup and maintain a page
similar to the (horribly outdated) ones that I did for Toast and RI.
Summarizing project status, pointing to resources, instructions, maybe a
roadmap, TODO, you name it.

Comments? Suggestions?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #