Re: ICU for global collation

From: "Finnerty, Jim" <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ICU for global collation
Date: 2022-03-15 19:47:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Can we get some more consistent terminology around the term "locale"?

In ICU, the "locale" is just the first part of what we can pass to the "locale" parameter in CREATE COLLATION - the part before the optional '@' delimiter. The ICU locale does not include the secondary or tertiary properties, so it is usually just the country and the language, e.g. en_US (or en-US), but it can also be something like es_TRADITIONAL for traditional Spanish.

I think it would be an improvement in clarity if we consistently use the term 'locale' to mean the same thing that ICU means by that term, and not to have the thing that we call the "locale" also include collation modifiers, or to imply that a locale is the same thing as a collation.

/Jim