Re: revised sample SRF C function; proposed SRF API

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: revised sample SRF C function; proposed SRF API
Date: 2002-06-07 23:05:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Definitely better. I'd suggest also thinking about whether the
> same/similar macros can support functions that return a set of a
> scalar (non-tuple) datatype. In my mind, the cleanest design would
> be some base macros that support functions-returning-set (of anything),
> and if you want to return a set of scalar then you just use these
> directly (handing a Datum to FUNC_RETURN_NEXT). If you want to return
> a set of tuples then there are a couple extra steps that you need to
> do to build a tupdesc, build a tuple, and convert the tuple to Datum
> (which at the moment you do by putting it into a slot, but I think we
> ought to change that soon). If it were really clean then the macros
> supporting these extra steps would also work without the SRF macros,
> so that you could use 'em in a function returning a single tuple.

I have a patch ready now which I think meets the design requirements
above for the most part. The API is in two pieces: one which aids in
creation of functions which return composite types; the other helps with
SRFs. The comments in funcapi.h summarize the API:

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Support to ease writing Functions returning composite types
*
* External declarations:
* TupleDesc RelationNameGetTupleDesc(char *relname) - Use to get a
* TupleDesc based on the function's return type relation.
* TupleDesc TypeGetTupleDesc(Oid typeoid, List *colaliases) - Use to
* get a TupleDesc based on the function's type oid. This can be
* used to get a TupleDesc for a base (scalar), or composite type.
* TupleTableSlot *TupleDescGetSlot(TupleDesc tupdesc) - Initialize a
* slot given a TupleDesc.
* AttInMetadata *TupleDescGetAttInMetadata(TupleDesc tupdesc) - Get a
* pointer to AttInMetadata based on the function's TupleDesc.
* AttInMetadata can be used in conjunction with C strings to
* produce a properly formed tuple. Store the metadata here for
* use across calls to avoid redundant work.
* HeapTuple BuildTupleFromCStrings(AttInMetadata *attinmeta,
* char **values) -
* build a HeapTuple given user data in C string form. values is an
* array of C strings, one for each attribute of the return tuple.
*
* Macro declarations:
* TupleGetDatum(TupleTableSlot *slot, HeapTuple tuple) - get a Datum
* given a tuple and a slot.
*/

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Support for Set Returning Functions (SRFs)
*
* The basic API for SRFs looks something like:
*
* Datum
* my_Set_Returning_Function(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
* {
* FuncCallContext *funcctx;
* Datum result;
* <user defined declarations>
*
* if(SRF_IS_FIRSTPASS())
* {
* <user defined code>
* <obtain slot>
* funcctx = SRF_FIRSTCALL_INIT(slot);
* <user defined code>
* }
* <user defined code>
* funcctx = SRF_PERCALL_SETUP(funcctx);
* <user defined code>
*
* if (funcctx->call_cntr < funcctx->max_calls)
* {
* <user defined code>
* <obtain result Datum>
* SRF_RETURN_NEXT(funcctx, result);
* }
* else
* {
* SRF_RETURN_DONE(funcctx);
* }
* }
*
*/

If interested in more details, the patch will be sent shortly to
PATCHES. Included in the patch is a reference implementation of the API,
show_all_vars() (showguc_all() in guc.c). This returns the same
information as SHOW ALL, but as an SRF, allowing, for example, the
following:

test=# select * from show_all_vars() where varname like 'cpu%';
varname | varval
cpu_index_tuple_cost | 0.001
cpu_operator_cost | 0.0025
cpu_tuple_cost | 0.01