Re: int8 becames string in BDE :-(

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Laszlo Tibor <ltibor(at)mail(dot)tiszanet(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: int8 becames string in BDE :-(
Date: 2002-05-30 04:57:00
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Laszlo Tibor wrote:

> Signed as Tibor, I am Gabor, co-worker of Zoltan.
> (sorry to use this confusing way, but I'm not a member of this
> list justpopped in to help them)
>
> Further experiments I did today: downloaded Hiroshi's 7.2.0.2
> driver from a page mentioned earlier and found the following:

> 1a with psqlodbc.dll (ODBC ver 2.5) BDE found count() to be a
> non-numeric value (deducted from the fact that BDE aligned it
> to the left in the grid and that OE complained about Integer
> <->String incompatibility)
> 1b with psqlodbc30.dll (ODBC ver 3) BDE found count() to be
> numeric (found out that it's Largeint by setting a fake
> TIntegerField type to a "count() as xxx" field. Changing
> field type to TLargeintField, it worked.)
> 2a using int4(count()), managed to work around the problem
> with ODBC 2.5, but it is inconvenient and ugly since there
> are hundreds of source files in our projects.

Hmm I'm now inclined to add an option to specify how
to handle int8.
int8 -> auto(current), SQL_BIGINT, SQL_NUMERIC, SQL_VARCHAR ...
Comments ?

> 2b with psqlodbcl30 we could use a Largeint field type instead,
> which is good, but at the first try, a certain action caused
> Access Violation within psqlodbc30.dll itself. I can send the
> structure of this query if it helps.

Please send it to me.

> 3b Turned off "(Trial) Updatable Cursors" (it was checked in this new
> installation of psqlodbc30.dll while it was unchecked in all the other
> DSN's) in DataSource options, and now the EXEcutable sends a different
> error, _earlier_, stating
>
> [Microsoft][ODBC driver manager] Fetch type out of range

I've just changed the driver at http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/.
Please try.

> Again, with the old drivers (Updatable Cursors UNchecked),
> this wasn't a problem, neither with the new driver (Updatable
> Cursors checked).

Does this mean the old driver with Undatable cursors checked
have a problem ?

> If it helps, I can send you the query causing
> this problem, too.

Please send it to me.

> BTW, I found MS Jet to be a DLL. Call me a lamer but how can
> you invoke this
> DLL? (if it is what you used to change the return value) Shall
> I install MS
> Access?

The driver could know if the client is MS-Jet because
MS-Jet calls SQLSetConnnectAttr with the option
30002 and the parameter "Microsoft Jet".

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/