Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date: 2002-05-24 17:27:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> It seems to me that it'd be really practical to just take what we
> need out of this distribution and forgo all dependency on
> system-provided timezone databases. And, since there's a mailing
> list maintaining it, we could expect someone else to handle updates
> ;-) ... we'd just have to be careful to use the database files
> unmodified, so that we could drop in new releases from time to time.
>
> Comments? Anyone want to do the legwork?

I don't understand precisely what need to be done, but I'll give it a
shot if you get me pointed in the right direction.

<downloads and looks at code>
I see that tzcode2002c.tar.gz includes a mktime() function. Is the idea
to pull this out (with just whatever support it needs), incorporate it
into PostgreSQL source (perhaps in a new src/backend/utils/tz directory)
and use this in place of the system provided mktime()?

Joe