Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ulrich Drepper <drepper(at)redhat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date: 2002-05-24 13:10:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But anybody using Unix dates as "general dates" has leaped into exactly the
> same sort of trap that caused people to get so paranoid about Y2K.

Certainly true. We don't use Unix dates as "general dates", we use the
Unix time zone database and API for dates and times within the year
range of 1903 to 2038. Well, up until now anyway...

Prior to the 1900s, the concept of time zones was more localized and not
universally adopted. In the US, a first round of time zone
standardization came with the transcontinental railroads in the 1860s.
After 2038, it is a good bet that time zones will resemble those in use
today, but they are as much a political construct as a physical one so
the details are subject to change.

- Thomas