simple yet complex join

From: Vincent Stoessel <vincent(at)xaymaca(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: simple yet complex join
Date: 2002-05-16 23:26:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All,
I've been reading the archives, the manual and my sql books.
lack of sleep is making what seems easy very hard to figure out
right now.

what kind of join do I have to do in order to combine 3 tables of
similiar information. For example 3 months' worth of payments from
customers:

jan_pay

tom 25
ron 30
jim 0

feb_pay

tom 25
ron 20
jim 10

march_pay

tom 25
ron 30
jim 5
pat 40

I want a result that looks like this :

tom 25 25 25
ron 30 20 30
jim 0 10 5
pat 0 0 40

I've tried so many kinds of strage joins that I am ashamed to post them
here. Can someone please light the candle?
Thanks in advance.

--
Vincent Stoessel
Linux Systems Developer