Re: rename() vs. link(); building from source

From: Barry Pederson <bp(at)barryp(dot)org>
To: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: "David P(dot) Caldwell" <inonit(at)inonit(dot)com>, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rename() vs. link(); building from source
Date: 2002-05-12 15:37:11
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason Tishler wrote:
> Barry,
>
> Did you use the (exact) patch at the end of:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-04/msg00057.php
>
> If so, then please confirm this fact and I will submit this patch to
> pgsql-patches for consideration. If not, then please try again with
> this (exact) patch. If you are still successful, then I will submit it.

I've been using my own equivalent patch, but in the interest of getting this
thing hopefully fixed, I've used your patch and it still works.

Below is a blow-by-blow account of exactly what I did to test this:

Edited CYGWIN-PATCHES/build.sh to remove

--with-python --with-perl --with-java

from the configure args.

-------------------
Ran the commands:

cd /usr/src/postgresql-7.2.1-1
CYGWIN-PATCHES/build.sh 7.2.1 1

which created a file named: postgresql-7.2.1-1.tar.bz2
in the current directory

bzip2 -d postgresql-7.2.1-1.tar.bz2
cd /
tar xvf /usr/src/postgresql-7.2.1-1/postgresql-7.2.1-1.tar

decompressed and installed what I had built

initdb -D /d/pgtest
postmaster -D /d/pgtest

Created a new database cluster, and started the server using that
cluster. Then in another window with a dump of a roughly 100mb large object:

createdb test
pg_restore -d test -v -Ft biglo.pgdump.tar
dropdb test
createdb test
pg_restore -d test -v -Ft biglo.pgdump.tar

and the backend stopped, complaining about Permission denied on link.
(maybe if my dump of a large object was bigger, I wouldn't have to do it
twice to cause the crash).

------------------------

So, having confirmed that my stock build would crash, applied Jason's
*exact* patch from

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-04/msg00057.php

removed the old postgresql-7.2.1-1.tar file from the original build and the
old database cluster

re-ran the exact same commands from above, starting with:

cd /usr/src/postgresql-7.2.1-1
CYGWIN-PATCHES/build.sh 7.2.1 1

uncompressed, untarred, initialized a new cluster, started the server
created a db, restored the same dump, dropped the db.

Repeat the create/restore/drop sequence 6 times, no crash :)

Barry