Re: rename() vs. link(); building from source

From: Barry Pederson <bp(at)barryp(dot)org>
To: "David P(dot) Caldwell" <inonit(at)inonit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rename() vs. link(); building from source
Date: 2002-05-12 04:24:42
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

David P. Caldwell wrote:

> I did find the /usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.2.README ... I was intrigued by
> the section "Source." I figured that some combination of build.sh, etc.,
> would do it for me ... the file says PostgreSQL builds out of the box with a
> perl-related caveat and I wasn't going to build perl, so I was hopeful. I
> was even more excited by:
>
> See CYGWIN-PATCHES/build.sh in the source archive for my exact build
> recipe for configuring, making, and packaging this distribution.
>
> However, try as I might, I can't figure out what that refers to. I've
> looked under both the PostgreSQL source tree (thoroughly) and the Cygwin
> source tree (not as thoroughly), done net searches, and can't find any
> matches for "CYGWIN-PATCHES" ... so I'm stuck there for the moment.

If install the PostgreSQL source by way of the Cygwin installer, you should
find the CYGWIN-PATCHES directory in a /usr/src/postgresql-7.2.1-1 directory

IIRC, all you have to do to build (assuming you have all other necessary
cygwin packages installed - gcc, etc) is cd to the above mentioned directory
and run: CYGWIN-PATCHES/build.sh 7.2.1 1

(those last 2 params are the version and port number, which the build.sh
expects as arguments, I don't recall offhand exactly why, but things seemed to
go smoother later on if I kept the same port number as what the -real- cygwin
postgresql package was)

When I tried it (to do the unlink/rename change), I tweaked the build.sh line
27 to remove --with-perl and --with-python from the configure args. Other
than that, it built out-of-the-box pretty much as advertised (and the
recycling transaction logs problem went away in my case).

Barry