Re: Individual subsystems' CVS tags?

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Kristis Makris <kristis(dot)makris(at)datasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Individual subsystems' CVS tags?
Date: 2002-05-10 05:11:21
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Kristis Makris wrote:

> This is more of a release management question/suggestion.
>
> Are there any plans for tagging individual components in the CVS
> repository with their own "private", if you will, tags ?

No.

> For example, I
> have found out that v7.01.00.08 of the ODBC driver is the most suitable
> for the needs of an application I'm maintaining, since the behaviour of
> both bugs in the application and driver produce the desired results.

Are you referring to the [ODBC] Are multiple selects of
the same field allowed using CRecordset::GetFieldValue() ?
If you don't hate to compile the driver by yourself, please
remove or comment the following lines at near the end of
copy_and_convert_field in convert.c and try it.

if (result == COPY_OK && stmt->current_col >= 0)
opts->bindings[stmt->current_col].data_left = 0;

I hope the latest driver is the best one for anyone.

> I'd like to propose such a tagging scheme. I definitely do not have the
> internals understanding required to judge whether such a process could
> be carried out uniformly across different subsystems within postgres, or
> comprehend the practical implications of maintaing such a process, but
> it does seem like a useful thing to do in the ODBC driver's case. I
> understand that going forward with such a scheme will not fix *my*
> current problem, but others could be interested in such tags in the
> future.

Unfortunately there's no consensus on it and seems
hard to get any consensus in the near future.
Probably we must have another place to do it,
if it is really needed.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/