Re: Contrib reindex script:

From: Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)mmrd(dot)com>
To: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Contrib reindex script:
Date: 2002-05-08 20:59:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Just want to say thanks for the reindex script. Today I used it as the
basis of a perl script which I've cron'ed and produces a daily report of
table/index name and size for all tables/indexes in my db so I can see
if things are growing out of control. Thanks to this new tool, I found
several out of control indexes. One example: I had a 55 megabyte index
which reduced to 44k. Overall, I reduced my db size from 550 megs to
300. Additionally, the web interface which this database is powering
is much more responsive.

We have several high-turnover tables. We have one of only about 1500
rows but which experiences nearly 100% turnover every 5 minutes.

As a first-time PostgreSQL administrator, I've been nagging myself to
figure out a way to monitor db growth in this manner. Of course, there
was always something else to work on at the time.

Thanks again,
Fran