Re: Tracking disk writes? (again)

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tracking disk writes? (again)
Date: 2007-03-12 19:48:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mar 12, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 03/12/07 12:16, Erik Jones wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 12, 2007, at 11:46 AM, Harald Armin Massa wrote:
>>
>>> Erik,
>>>
>>> for solaris I think dtrace can be of help:
>>>
>>> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/dtrace/
>>>
>>> PostgreSQL 8.2 introduced dtrace-ability.
>>>
>>> From what I read it is specifically created to do this kind of
>>> measurement.
>>
>> Hmm... That would be a particulary heavy weight solution to what I
>> was
>> hoping for. Basically, I'm looking to poll the db or "something"
>> to get
>> either the total number of block or page writes done by the db either
>> ever or since my last reading. That way I can graph disk writes over
>> time and compare to the graphs I've already got for transactions
>> committed, transactios rolled back, disk blocks read from disk,
>> and disk
>> blocks found in cache.
>
> Like a system montitor that tracks reads, writes, transactions, etc?

Well, disk reads, cache hits, transactions commited, transactions
rolled back, index size and usage, etc. are all able to be tracked vi
the pg catalogue tables and views. But, I haven't seen anything that
will give me numbers on actual disk writes done by the database.

erik jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
sofware developer
615-296-0838
emma(r)