Re: Why does postgres not take into account my index on a bigint column ?

From: Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pierre-Andre Michel <pamichel(at)smartgene(dot)ch>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why does postgres not take into account my index on a bigint column ?
Date: 2002-04-15 18:03:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

>Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com> writes:
>
>>Anyone from -hackers read this? Or should I repost it there?
>>

>Don't bother, we've heard it before ;-)

Yah, Andrew Sul;livan just clued me in. Wasn't connecting dots until
just now.

>You may care to consult the pghackers archives for previous discussions
>about this problem and why it's not trivial to fix. Eventually someone
>will come up with a proposal that has a tolerable amount of collateral
>damage ...

Well... I'm sure I can come up with a solution, but just for a frame of
reference when Windows and my BIOS started acting up and mis-configuring
IRQs I just labotomized the BIOS.... Collateral schmollateral. Nuke em
till they glow and let God sort 'em out. Hehehe :)

Seriously though this is something that could be a biiiiig problem for
me so I intend to look into it, re-read the threads I can find in
pghackers and maybe I can think of something. Sometimes all that is
needed is a fresh set of eyes.