Re: Postgresql installation problem

From: "William N(dot) Zanatta" <william(at)veritel(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Pierre-Alexis Paquin <papaquin(at)i2m(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql installation problem
Date: 2002-04-15 13:58:09
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm also a newbie on postgresql. The first time I installed it was last
friday. But I'll give a shot! Any mistakes, please correct me guys!

> 1. Did you initialized your database with initdb ?

This step creates the base files needed to run PSQL.
I'll assume you're running postgresql as postgres user.
Firstly, create a directory like data in your psql home directory. Then,
if the owner is not the postgres user, give him the ownershio of it.
Something like:

# cd /usr/local/psql
# mkdir data
# chown postgres:users data
# chmod 755 data

the '#' means I'm root!

now, initdb...

# su postgres
$ pwd
/usr/local/psql
$ cd bin
$ ./initdb -D /usr/local/psql/data

the '$' means I'm a normal user like 'postgres' in this case

> 2. Have you started Postgres with postmaster -i or pg_ctl start ?

Now you must start your postgresql daemon as postgres user. YOU CANNOT
START POSTGRESQL AS ROOT.

$ pwd
/usr/local/psql/bin
$ ./postmaster -i -D /usr/local/psql/data &

ok now your daemon should be started...

> 3. Have you modified parameters in $PGDATA/postgresql.conf file ?
> Follow your answers, you have solved your problem

you can do it later. for now, check if it is working as you wish.

See ya,

William Zanatta