Re: COPY performance

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY performance
Date: 2002-04-13 19:19:34
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> I should have mentioned that I'm doing the copy in to the table in a
> transaction block with all constraints deferred. That should mean
> it's only at the commit stage that foreign key will be checked
> right?

I'm not really sure, maybe someone else can chime in.

But I can say that I imported about 38 million rows of similar size
(actually, a bit larger) using COPY in under an hour with 7.2RC3. I had
no indexes or references defined during the COPY. I never saw memory use
grow beyond about 10MB IIRC -- possibly in part because I forgot to
increase shared buffers beyond the default before I started.

FWIW, hardware was dual P3 833 (I think), with 2GB RAM, hardware
mirrored SCSI hard-drives, Red Hat 7.2.

Joe