Re: ANALYZE after restore

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ANALYZE after restore
Date: 2002-04-03 08:16:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >> Would it be an idea to have pg_dump append an ANALYZE; command to the end of
> >> its dumps to assist newbies / inexperienced admins?
>
> > I do not think this is desired behaviour.
>
> I agree with Gavin here ... a forced VACUUM or ANALYZE after a restore
> will just get in the way of people who know what they're doing, and it's
> not at all clear that it will help people who do not.

Sorry Tom and Gavin, but I feel it really comes down to our idea of what
we're
trying to do here :

a) A database which is very self-maintaining, so people DON'T HAVE to
learn it's intricacies in order to be getting decent performance.
(They'll have to learn the intricacies if they want *better*
performance)

b) A database which works. But if you want decent performance, you'd
better
take the time and effort to learn it.
(This is the approach the commercial vendors take)

I feel we should always target a) where it's possible to without it
seriously
getting in the way of people who've take the time to learn the skills.

The far majority of people who use PostgreSQL are in the category which
will
benefit from a) so they can put their time to other uses instead of
having to
learn and keep-up-to-date-with PostgreSQL. This will *always* be the
case.

Having decent performance by default should definitely be an important
objective, so having an ANALYZE command run at the end of a restore - by
default only - is a good idea.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> regards, tom lane