Direct I/O and Linux 2.4

From: Richard Emberson <emberson(at)phc(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Direct I/O and Linux 2.4
Date: 2002-03-30 00:46:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

An earlier post referenced a bunch of Oracle performance pages. One of
them,

http://www.ixora.com.au/notes/direct_io.htm

indicates that on Linux 2.4 kernels one can use Direct I/O (if you DB
supports it).

Does Postgresql support the use of Direct I/O or Raw I/O? Base on
another page

http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/avoid_buffered_io.htm

it would seem that not using one of these "wastes" alot of RAM.

Just curious .... I am a couple of months away from production.

Richard