Re: postmaster start options on RedHat 7.1

From: hodges(at)xprt(dot)net
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postmaster start options on RedHat 7.1
Date: 2002-03-22 04:09:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am trying to get postgresql started by remote login.
Ran this script

#!/bin/sh
exec /bin/su - postgres -c "/usr/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data -i -B 4096 >>
/usr/local/pgsql/server.log 2>&1" /dev/null

And get this result:
/usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system.
Expected to find it in the PGDATA directory
"/usr/local/pgsql/data
", but unable to open file with pathname
"/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/pg_class".

pg_class doesn't seem to be on the box although when I
was
physically present at the computer I think I was able
run psql and create a database.

So I guess are there some programs that I can run
remotely (as root or whatever) to get the postgres
files set up?

Thanks, Tom