Re: Btree index extension question

From: Dmitry Tkach <dmitry(at)openratings(dot)com>
To: fcanedo(at)hotpop(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Btree index extension question
Date: 2002-03-16 01:50:56
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-sql

fcanedo(at)hotpop(dot)com wrote:

>I understand this:
>1. You want to use a btree index because presumably it's faster than a
>normal index.

Ahhh.. What do you mean by 'normal index'?
I have two reasons to use btree:
- It is simpler to implement;
- It can be used in combination with other columns (these 15 boolean
flags is not the only stuff I need to search by, so, I am going to have
to run queries like '... where flags & 33 = 33 and foo=bar'' - to do
that, I would need an index on (flags 'bit_ops', foo), where bit_ops is
my special set of operations I am looking to define). If I am not using
btree for the flags, I would then have to define the whole indexing
strategy for all my columns, and I am really hoping to be able to avoid
having to do that.

>2. A btree index is a binary tree index that uses the order of values to
>find an answer quickly.

Yep.

>3. In your case for instance: a value of 10 should produce a resultset
>with bitstrings of 10, 11, 14, 26, ...

Yep.

>Wouldn't know how to get this to work though! :(

Yeah... me neither :-(
I am about to give up on this (hate to do that!)...

I was trying to make use of a GiST index now, but having some problems
with that too :-(
Could you please look at the next message I am about to post in a few
minutes (about debugging C functions)? Perhaps, you would have some
helpful ideas there?

Thanks!

Dima