Now trying Cygwin with normal download of PostgreSQL

From: Peter <peter(at)helpnet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Now trying Cygwin with normal download of PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-02-22 02:37:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I have the latest Cygwin and PostgreSQL 7.2. Using the installation
instructions at http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html,
make produces the messages:
pg_passwd.o(.text+0x763):pg_passwd.c: undefined reference to 'crypt'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [pg_passwd] Error 1

The installation using the standalone PostgreSQL download works better
than trying to install the Cygwin version. The target of this project is
to install SQL-ledger but, if PostgreSQL works well, I might use it for
other projects.

The reason I persevere on NT is I need solutions that work on NT,
Solaris, and Linux. MySQL, using Berkeley tables for transactions, does
work on all those platforms but I hear the Berkeley tables use page
locking instead of row locking. Oracle is an easy to deploy alternative
but I am not about to pay $40,000 for an Oracle licence just so I can
perform a few hours development each month. What I need is a bullet
proof way of installing PostgreSQL on NT.

Peter